top of page

On-Campus Employment

F-1 RISD students are eligible to work on campus at RISD. In order to do so, you must have a social security number (SSN) and you must complete the employment paperwork at the Work Study Office in ProvWash, 1st Floor.

More information about social security numbers can be found here

Note: You may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. During breaks there is no restriction on the number of hours that you work.

To view a list of all current on-campus jobs, click here

For more information on how to find a job at RISD, click here 

For a list of scheduled employment and immigration workshops, click here.

Off-Campus Employment

Students may work off campus only if they obtain Employment Authorization before legally beginning work. All off-campus work must be related to your major.

Types of off-campus Employment Authorization

Curricular Practical Training- CPT

International students only need to apply for CPT if they are doing an internship in the U.S. Students working on CPT may only work part-time (20 hours or less per week) while school is in session. Full-time (more than 20 hours per week) work is permissible during school breaks.

Please plan ahead. This process can take up to two weeks.

Optional Practical Training- OPT

International students may apply for OPT within 90 days before and 60 days after date of graduation. Maximum duration of post-completion OPT is 12 months.

Important things to remember:

  • Your OPT employment MUST be related to your field of study

  • You MUST be working full-time (more than 20 hours) - this can be one full-time job or multiple part-time jobs

  • You have 90 days of unemployment during OPT

bottom of page