top of page

For a list of scheduled employment and immigration workshops, click here.

OPT Reporting

While on OPT, you are required to report OPT employment and any other changes listed below within 10 days:

  • Employer name and address

  • Any changes in your employment (ending a job, changing jobs)

  • Start date and end date of your employment

  • Current U.S. address

  • Change of your official name

  • Change of immigration status

  • Transfer to a U.S. school/institution

  • If you leave the U.S. and will no longer be using your F1 OPT

To update your OPT employment and other changes, please complete the:

Important things to remember:

  • Your OPT employment MUST be related to your field of study

  • You MUST be working full-time (more than 20 hours) - this can be with one full-time job or two part-time jobs

  • You have 90 days of unemployment during OPT

travel 2.jpeg

Travel while on OPT

Do you have questions about traveling during or before OPT? Click on the image above to see recommended documents to have for travel and risks.


OPT Quick Guide

Please see more information about the different types of OPT employment (freelancing, self-employment, etc.), how to report, and the documentation required

Guideline for Self-Employment and Freelancing in the U.S..png

Freelancing & Self-Employment Workshop

Want to learn more about the legal guidelines around freelancing and self-employment? Click above to watch a recording of a session with immigration attorney, Eileen Morrison. 

See presentation slides here.

bottom of page